Red-crowned Parrots

  • Russell Scalf
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      My recent post came up blank. No idea why.

      I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned Parrots in California.

      What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?

      -Rusty Scalf

    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi Rusty,

        At 09:37 AM 2001-08-01 -0700, Russell Scalf wrote:
        >My recent post came up blank. No idea why.

        It looked like your last message was sent as an attachment rather than
        imbedded text.

        >I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned
        >Parrots in California.
        >
        >What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?

        Check out the web site Kimball referenced - www.parrotproject.org

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
          At 09:37 AM 8/1/01 -0700, Russell Scalf wrote:

          >I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned
          Parrots in California.

          >What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?
          >
          > -Rusty Scalf

          Rusty:

          As always, Western Birds is the best place to check for natural
          history information on birds of the region. See v. 28 no. 4 (1997)
          which is almost entirely devoted to parrot populations in
          California, including two papers by Karen Mabb on nesting and
          roosting of parrots (particularly Red-crowned Parrots) in the
          San Gabriel Valley and a multi-authored paper on foods of naturalized
          parrot populations.

          We've learned a lot since that publication, with various
          studies in the works that will ultimately be published.

          -- Kimball
          Kimball L. Garrett
          Ornithology Collections Manager
          900 Exposition Blvd.