LA Audubon monthly meeting, 4/11/12

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 7:36 PM
      Hi Birders!

      You are cordially invited to attend Los Angeles Audubon Society's
      monthly meeting, 7:30pm, Wednesday April 11, 2012 in Debs Park (just
      off the 110 Pasadena Freeway) with free parking:

      Audubon Center at Debs Park
      4700 North Griffin Ave.
      Los Angeles, CA 90031

      Cut and paste in your browser:

      http://ca.audubon.org/debs_directions.php

      Alvaro Jaramillo "How our brain identifies birds - Birding
      identification like a pro"

      Most bird identification lectures focus on field marks, and the
      specifics of separating species A from species B. But few ask exactly
      how we identify birds? What is our brain going through in order to do
      this? How does our brain get tripped up during bird identification -
      ever encountered the "leaf bird" the "branch bird" or the worse one of
      all "the plastic bag snowy owl?"
      Why do experts identify birds almost without thinking, while the rest
      of us need to struggle? Are they different than the rest of us, or are
      there tricks? Truth is that bird identification is pretty tricky stuff
      but our brain is wired to short cut much of the thinking involved in
      doing it, the trick is training yourself to do it like a pro. And that
      is the aim, a lighthearted but informative explanation of how the heck
      they do it.

      Alvaro Jaramillo was born in Chile but began birding in Toronto,
      Canada, where he lived as a youth. He was trained in ecology and
      evolution with a particular interest in bird behavior. Research forays
      and backpacking trips introduced Alvaro to the riches of the
      Neotropics, where he has traveled extensively. He is the author of the
      Birds of Chile, an authoritative yet portable field guide to Chile's
      birds. Alvaro writes the Identify Yourself column in Bird Watcher's
      Digest. He recently finished part of the sparrow chapter for the
      Handbook of Birds of the World, and is writing a photo guide to the
      birds and wildlife of Patagonia. He runs a birding and nature tour
      company Alvaro's Adventures, where the focus is to have fun, learn a
      thing or two and truly enjoy nature. Alvaro lives with his family in
      Half Moon Bay, California.

      Upcoming talks:

      May 9, 2012 Eddie "ET" Thomas, presents �"Bewick�s Wren: Adventures in
      Song�
      June 13, 2012 - Photo night

      Refreshments will be served at the meeting.

      See at our meeting!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA

      Los Angeles Audubon Society Program Chair and Fieldtrip Leader
      http://losangelesaudubon.org/