Phainopepla nitens

  • DAVID
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2012
      While on a nice still, sunny afternoon trail hike at Elysian Park
      in Los Angeles, Ca., I was able to get a two minute glimps at a male
      Phainopepla (Phainopepla nitens).

      Unlike any bird call I'd ever heard, once I saw it I knew it was a
      new bird. The black, sleekness, the crest and red eyes were distinct
      features that enabled me to identify it in my birding book, The Sibley
      field Guide to Birds of Western North America, written and illustrated
      by David Allen Sibley. When it finally flew away it was no doubt of it
      being a Phainopepla with its white patch under each wing

      I'm pretty new to birding so it was espesially exciting for me to
      spot and identify all on my own. I'm usually under the guidance of my
      father-in-law, Thomas Ogren. Now, I can log it onto my bird list, which
      is now an ameteur 110, and counting.

      If you're in the Los Angeles area, head out to Elysian Park for a
      good day of birding. It's an old park rich in history and second largest
      next to Griffith Park. Bring a lunch and some water, my friend.

      Good day.

      David Bush, Glendale, Ca.