CRP GT Towhee, etc.

  • Lambert & Conard
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2002
      Below are sightings from several dates and locations in Sacramento County:

      Yesterday, 5/4/02, I stumbled onto a very cooperative (and beautiful)
      Green-tailed Towhee at the Howard Ranch portion of the Cosumnes River
      Preserve (a closed portion of the Preserve). John Trochet came back out
      with me in the afternoon with his GPS receiver to verify that the site was
      in Sacramento County (and not into Amador), and, therefore, on the Preserve.
      After an hour or so of searching for the right canyon, John heard the bird
      and got a brief view of it.

      Also of note were two White-throated Swifts, a Rock Wren, good numbers of
      Lewis's Woodpeckers, and a Lark Sparrow nest. I also walked up onto a
      sleeping coyote. Startled--actually both of us--it sprang to its feet and
      proceeded to trip and fall over a log. Finally awake, it collected itself
      and vanished. On the second trip, John and I saw Lesser Nighthawks flying
      well before dusk. We flushed a female from the ground and saw a male
      calling from an oak branch.

      On 5/2 at the SRCSD Bufferlands (www.bufferlands.com) there was a Peregrine
      Falcon flying over the Lower Cell of the Upper Beach Lake Wetlands. Two
      Vaux's Swifts were present on 5/1.

      Today's Central Valley Bird Club (www.cvbirds.org) tour of the Bufferlands
      produced good views of multiple Blue Grosbeaks, a male Lazuli Bunting, two
      male Western Tanagers, heard only Wilson's, Orange-crowned, and Yellow
      Warbler, several heard only Black-headed Grosbeaks, American White Pelicans,
      Forster's and Caspian Terns, nestling Great Blue Herons and Double Crested
      Cormorants, a male and female Canvasback, and a few Semipalmated Plovers.
      While it was a nice day, the forest was quieter than normal for this time of
      year.

      On a tour of the Deer Creek Hills property off of Latrobe Rd in Eastern
      Sacramento County on 4/27, two Band-tailed Pigeons flushed from an oak, and
      there were good numbers of Lewis's Woodpeckers. There were also two
      Lawrence's Goldfinches on the north side of the Michigan Bar Bridge. The
      bridge was closed and there was no information about when it might reopen.

      The Deer Creek Hills property is the site of the proposed senior development
      that was defeated with the failure of Measure O. The Sacramento Valley Open
      Space Conservancy is now raising money to purchase the property
      (www.svosc.org). Just to the north, the city of Folsom is seeking to expand
      its sphere of influence to areas south of Hwy 50. Development would, of
      course, destroy the great raptor areas south of the freeway along Scott and
      White Rock Rds. There are currently efforts by Folsom residents to get
      initiatives on the ballot to uphold the current General Plan to keep Folsom
      north of the freeway.

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento