Black-headed Grosbeak

  • redhead457@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2002
      May 5, 2002

      This afternoon, I was happy to find an adult female Black-headed Grosbeak on
      one of my feeders in the back yard. This is a first for my life list! The
      breast was a bright orange yellow, fading to a soft yellow/buff belly. There
      were streaks along the sides of the belly. The white eyebrow was the first
      thing I noticed, then the white line from beak to neck, stubby bill, longish
      tail. She spent a long time at the feeder, giving me plenty of good looks at
      her.

      In addition to this visitor, today I've had several Purple Finches and House
      Finches, a Scrub Jay, Mockingbird, two American Crows, one Magpie, and 2
      House Sparrows in or around my yard.

      We haven't seen the Annas Hummingbirds for a couple of weeks. Hope they
      return soon!

      Linda Corey
      Stockton, CA