Merlin feeding on prey at Skaggs Island

  • allen.hirsch
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2012
      The SF Flyway Festival was held on Mare Island this weekend. Yesterday, as part of the festival, there was a tour of Skaggs Island, looking for raptors.

      Skaggs Island, along Highway 37 between Novato and Vallejo, is a 3,300-acre plot of land that was once a Navy communications base that has recently become part of the San Pablo Bay National Wildlife Refuge.

      We saw more Northern harriers, white-tailed kites, and redtail hawks there than anywhere I've birded before.

      But the highlight was a Merlin that ate its prey fairly close to us (most of the raptors we saw were "waaaay out there"):

      http://allenh.zenfolio.com/p1044948141

      Allen Hirsch
      Oakland