SLO County Caracara

  • William Bouton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2012
      Hi All,

      The Crested Caracara found by Brian Hatfield, and whose presence was made known to the birding community by John Roser, was feeding on a roadkill coyote when I arrived at 10:45 this morning. It was unconcerned about my presence as I shot some images from my car. It was flushed from the carcass to a fence post by three very noisy members of the Look At Me, Look At Me, Please Notice Me Motorcycle Club. Then again to a roadside rock outcrop, by a large and loud truck.

      The dead coyote is .2 mile south of the gate to the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse, and on the ocean side of the highway.

      Be aware that this is a dangerous area, with real possibility of being involved in an accident or of receiving a citation. There are few places to pull off the pavement and fewer to turn around.

      Images of the bird can be viewed at:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/billbouton/

      Bill Bouton
      San Luis Obispo, CA