Julian Redpoll 2/7

  • Gjon_Hazard@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2012
      The COMMON REDPOLL continues in Julian today (2/7/2012).

      Under cloudy skies and a stiff wind, the first Lesser Goldfinches started
      to appear in the trees behind The Birdwatcher at 6:40 a.m. Within 5
      minutest, the first Pine Siskins began to show; shortly thereafter I picked
      out the redpoll. The flock, some 40 or 50 strong at that point, soon came
      down to the niger seed feeders where the redpoll enjoyed a leisurely
      breakfast for a good 8 or 9 minutes, at which point it flew back into the
      leafless oak tree -- and I left for work.

      Cheers,
      -Gjon Hazard

      Carlsbad/Encinitas