Shasta redpoll Contiunues

  • Slauson, Keith M -FS
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6 9:10 AM
      Greetings-

      At 08:30 am on Sunday the 5th of Feb I had the male Common redpoll on MacAurthur
      Swamp Road in Shasta county. I had the bird in the vicinity of the multiple large soil mounds
      ~100 yds past the split with MSR and Rat farm road. The bird flew in calling and landed in the
      willows in the canal, where I got brief looks. It then flew west and perched on the fence line below
      the telephone lines where it showed well in the morning light. It then flew to a small soil mound
      and looked to be possibly collecting mineral soil (?) with a single Lesser goldfinch. The redpoll returned
      to the fenceline briefly then flew off to the east by itself over the canal toward Rat farm road.

      I made a brief stop by the house at the end of Island road, with the "I don't give a shit who you are,
      don't drive on my lawn sign", and had the male Red-naped sapsucker working sap wells in one of two
      junipoers on the south edge of the road. I did not see the tree sparrow.

      Audios,

      Keith Slauson
      Humboldt County

    • Slauson, Keith M -FS
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6 11:56 AM
        Correction to my earlier post, the redpoll I saw was consistent with fieldmarks
        of an adult female, red limited to fore crown and no hint of red on the breast.
        This would not differ from what observers had described in previous reports.

        Thanks to Ken for pointing this out!

        Keith

        You mention that the bird you saw was a male. The bird seen there earlier showed no signs of being a male (though could have been a first winter male). Basically it looked like a typical adult female with no hint of pink on the breast. It did have a bit of buffiness around the face. It seems unlikely that we are dealing with two birds, but not impossible, of course.

        Ken Able

        Kenneth P. Able
        Bob's Creek Ranch
        535-000 Little Valley Road
        McArthur, California 96056

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7 9:23 AM
          Hi all,

          The Common Redpoll still continues in the same described area. First seen at 9:15 am.

          Good birding,

          Wes Fritz
          805-895-0685
          wes-fritz@...