Ten Canada Goose Migrated from Utah to La Mirada Park, L.A. Co., CA

  • Robert van de Hoek
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2012
      Greetings Birders, February 5, 2012:

      There have been 10 banded Canada Goose staying together with 6 unbanded Canada Goose as group of 16 Canada Goose at La Mirada Regional County Park for more than a month now, from January 2 to February 5, 2012.  Sometimes they spend the night at the park but sometimes they fly north toward Whittier Narrows and then return the following morning.

      I have read the leg bands with a spotting scope (15x-45x) so that I've read 4 bands completely now, and I've got a response from USGS at Patuxent, Maryland.  All four geese are males that were first banded in Utah in June, 2010.  One juvenile male was born in 2010 near Salt Lake City at the Ruddy Duck Club.  Two juvenile males were born in 2009 and will become adults this spring when they will be 3 years old.  And one adult male was born in 2008 or earlier, which is now approaching 4 years old.

      Has anyone found 10 banded Canada Goose together in Los Angeles County with 6 unbanded geese, for a total of 16 individuals?   Is this rare and unique to find 10 banded birds or geese together on the urbanized pacific slope of Los Angeles County?  These geese would most likely have traveled across the Great Basin Desert and Mohave Desert in Nevada and California to reach us here in Los Angeles County.

      "Roy"
      Robert van de Hoek, Conservation Biologist, Urban Ecologist, Biogeographer
      Ballona Institute & Wetlands Defense Fund
      Los Angeles (Playa Del Rey)