Slaty-backed Gull in Half Moon Bay.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2012
      Folks,

      I just returned all jazzed up from gull watching in Florida, and
      thought I better go out and see what was about today as the weather was
      dark, dingy and cold. Perfect for gulls! I was surprised to find that the
      mouth of Pilarcitos Creek (just south of Venice Beach, San Mateo County) was
      full of gulls! There were 2-3 thousand gulls there, more than I have seen
      here in over a year. Before I could scan the full flock I spotted a second
      cycle Slaty-backed Gull (three photos up):

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/6793526149/in/photostream/

      This bird was very similar looking to the first Slaty-backed that showed up
      in Half Moon Bay back in 2002. However this bird had dark eyes, and this is
      certainly not the stereotypical Slaty-backed Gull. Right after getting a few
      photos two sets of dogs running on the beach scared up the gulls. About 40
      minutes later (3:15 pm) the Slaty-backed Gull returned and it was there when
      I left about 15 minutes after that. The gulls can be observed from the cliff
      overlooking the beach, this is near the end of Wave Avenue, in Half Moon
      Bay.

      I will be doing a gull workshop with field trip this week, so hopefully we
      can find it again!

      Good birding

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo