Hawks from Lodi to Woodland

  • redhead457@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 9:44 AM
      On April 26 and 27, I made several trips from Stockton to Sacramento and
      Stockton to Woodland, via I-5. On each trip, I observed several hawks in the
      Lodi/Galt area, along the highway and even in the grassy median:
      Red Shouldered Hawk (4) -- in flight, plus one sitting in the grassy median
      Black-Shouldered Kite (1) -- doing its hovering performance
      Red-Tailed Hawk -- perched on a post

      On April 27, I spotted what appeared to be a Dark Phase Red-Tailed Hawk
      sitting in a grassy median just north of the Sacramento River in Yolo County,
      on I-5.

      Also seen, as I drove south from Woodland on I-5, a flying hawk, with similar
      wing coloration and pattern to a Northern Harrier, but slightly larger. I'm
      not sure what that was, as I couldn't stop and get a better look. Any ideas
      what kind of hawk it most likely was?

      Other birds noted on April 27 along I-5 in the Lodi/Galt area:
      One Cattle Egret in flight
      One Great Egret fishing in a slough
      Mallards - 6 in flight

      By the way, the 4 Canadian Geese have returned to Quail Lakes. It appears
      the groundskeeper has been shooing them away from the bank by our office
      building. I believe he's the one who disturbed the nesting female last week,
      accidently or otherwise.

      Linda Corey
      Stockton, CA