Red-crowned Parrots

  • Russell Scalf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2001
    • Russell Scalf
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        My recent post came up blank. No idea why.

        I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned Parrots in California.

        What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?

        -Rusty Scalf

      • Steve Sosensky
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
          Hi Rusty,

          At 09:37 AM 2001-08-01 -0700, Russell Scalf wrote:
          >My recent post came up blank. No idea why.

          It looked like your last message was sent as an attachment rather than
          imbedded text.

          >I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned
          >Parrots in California.
          >
          >What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?

          Check out the web site Kimball referenced - www.parrotproject.org

          Good birding,
          Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>

          10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
          Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
          SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
        • Kimball Garrett
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
            At 09:37 AM 8/1/01 -0700, Russell Scalf wrote:

            >I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned
            Parrots in California.

            >What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?
            >
            > -Rusty Scalf

            Rusty:

            As always, Western Birds is the best place to check for natural
            history information on birds of the region. See v. 28 no. 4 (1997)
            which is almost entirely devoted to parrot populations in
            California, including two papers by Karen Mabb on nesting and
            roosting of parrots (particularly Red-crowned Parrots) in the
            San Gabriel Valley and a multi-authored paper on foods of naturalized
            parrot populations.

            We've learned a lot since that publication, with various
            studies in the works that will ultimately be published.

            -- Kimball
            Kimball L. Garrett
            Ornithology Collections Manager
            900 Exposition Blvd.