Re: Crested Caracara at Ballona Wetlands (Area A)

  • Christopher Taylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
      Hi Rick - I noticed it was a flight shot (great shot too!).

      Did you observe it for a while. Did it land, did it continue off in a
      particular direction?

      Thanks

      --
      Christopher Taylor
      Marina del Rey, CA

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
        By chance, I'm in the area now. I'd love to know as much about the sighting as possible and where the bird may have gone.

        Cheers,
        Dany Sloan
        La, ca

        On Jan 13, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Christopher Taylor <calbird@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rick - I noticed it was a flight shot (great shot too!).
        >
        > Did you observe it for a while. Did it land, did it continue off in a
        > particular direction?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > --
        > Christopher Taylor
        > Marina del Rey, CA
        > http://kiwifoto.com

      • Christopher Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
          Per Dany's note at 11AM, the Crested Caracara was perched in a tree just
          south of Jefferson Blvd. within the Ballona Freshwater Marsh. It was
          there until around 11:30AM when it flew west and landed in another tree.
          It perched there for around 10 minutes when a Red-tailed Hawk started
          harassing it and caused it to take flight again.

          We all observed as it circled over Ballona higher and higher and
          eventually toward the Marina. When I left at 11:45AM it was at least
          10,000' above the Marina del Rey area - probably right above my house.

          I took some photos and video. If you're interested in seeing the video
          footage, please e-mail me privately.

          http://kiwifoto.com/f/caracara_ballona_011312

          In regards to this being the same bird(s) in the SD area, I think it
          might be more likely to be the same Caracara that was observed at the
          Pt. Mugu Naval Station in Ventura Co. between Dec 20th and (last eBird
          sighting) on Jan 6th.

          For those not familiar with the area, here's a link to a map of the
          Ballona Freshwater Marsh - hopefully it will stay in the area.

          http://g.co/maps/8fq92

          --
          Christopher Taylor
          Marina del Rey, CA

          Could this be the bird that was in being seen in the San Diego area last year?

          Terry Brashear
          Hennepin County, MN
          http://www.naturepixels.com
          birdnird AT yahoo.com

          ________________________________

          This morning, January 13, 2012 at 8:15am there was a Crested Caracara in Area A of the Ballona Wetlands area. For those not familiar with Ballona by it's "area" designations, this area is next to (north of) the bike path between the Culver Boulevard bridge and the marina at Marina Del Rey. I'm not very familiar with this species so I can't give you a lot of details about it but you can see a picture of it on my flickr stream.

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/seerixpix/6690518783/in/photostream

          Happy Birding, Rick

          Rick Pine
          Los Angeles, CA
          Ballona Wetlands / Ballona Creek
          90292

        • Robert van de Hoek
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
            Greetings Birders,

            I also observed the Crested Caracara in the leafless (winter dormant) White Alder about 15 feet above the ground at the Ballona Freshwater Marsh on Jefferson Boulevard.  The air was quite warm and rising (thermals), and when the Crested Caracara lifted off the tree at circa 11:30am, it quickly rose southward to approximately 1000 feet over the edge of the Westchester Bluffs (at least 500 feet high), and then the Crested Caracara soared and winging it northward over Marina Del Rey/Fiji Way/Area A, and circled there at several thousand feet (but not 10,000' in my opinion), and then soared slightly south again over Area A and Ballona Creek, before rising higher and moving north again.  At one point approximately 5 gulls rose up several thousand feet over the Marina to deliberately intesect with the Crested Caracara, but these gulls simply soared on by.  I lost sight of it at approximately 11:50am.  I hope that the Crested Caracara got some
            carrion or prey while here at Ballona in Area A this morning, as there are certainly lots of Audubon Cottontail Rabbits and Pocket Gophers there.  However, I did not notice any  "animal body parts" in Area A field, but I could have missed finding those "body parts" fairly easily as there are approximately 139 acres in Area A adjacent to Fiji Way.  Interestingly, in the general vicinity of the Crested Caracara on Culver Boulevard, two Striped Skunk were killed two days ago on Wednesday morning (January 11, 2012) by speeding automobiles about 1/3 mile apart from each other.  There was also one dead Opossum and two dead Audubon Rabbits.  Could this carrion and other carrion have played a role in attracting the Crester Caracara to Ballona?  Is there any documentation in the literature of Crested Caracara feeding on Skunk carrion?  And could the coyotes at Ballona have pushed the Crested Caracara to leave Ballona, or is the Crested
            Caracara still at Ballona somewhere?

            "Roy"
            Robert van de Hoek, Conservation Biologist & Biogeographer.
            Ballona Institute & Wetlands Defense Fund.
            Los Angeles (Playa Del Rey), CA.

          • Chet Ogan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
              Hi birders:
              The landowner op here in Del Norte County has been providing the Crested Caracara with offal to keep it around his property.  This bird first showed up about 2004 and is still present most of the time. It disappears briefly but returns to the Smith River bottoms area.  It has been as far north as the area around the mouth of the Rogue River, Oregon.  So the question is Will the LA county Caracara find enough to eat?

              Chet Ogan
              Eureka

              When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
              -John Muir

              Chet Ogan
              Eureka, CA
              707-496-9001 cell