Falcated Duck 1/9

  • Alan Hopkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2012
      This morning I had a very brief look at the Falcated Duck from the observation deck at the Colusa Wildlife Refuge. I saw the bird at the very far end of the pond as it went between two tufts of tule in a channel that heads away from the main pond. From the observation deck the channel the bird was in was to the left of a white sign and to the left of the next power pole.
      I had to leave at about 1:30 and as far as I know no one else had seen the bird. I noticed that you can scope over the back pond from the highway where the power lines crossover the highway. I don't know if this is legal. I stopped for a few minutes to check the light was bad and all the trucks made it very unpleasant so I moved along, but it might be worth a try again.
      Alan HopkinsSan Francisco

    • bewickwren
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2012
        Calbirders,

        Hard to believe, I know, but there are still two birders in California that
        HAVE NOT seen the Falcated Duck. And we plan to come up on Thursday. Please
        keep posting updates on the bird, positive or negative.

        Thanks,

        John Green

        Riverside, CA