LA Audubon monthly meeting invitation 1/10/12

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2012
      Hi Birders!

      You are cordially invited to attend Los Angeles Audubon Society's
      monthly meeting which date and site has been changed to 7:30pm,
      Tuesday January 10, 2012.

      Location:

      Rio De Los Angeles State Park

      1900 San Fernando Road
      Los Angeles, CA

      http://parks.ca.gov/Lat_Long_Map/?page_id=22277

      It's located near the Los Angeles River and the train yard known as
      "the Taylor Yard". The I-5, SR 2 and the 110 Pasadena Freeway are
      within 2 miles of the park. Free parking. Refreshments will be served.

      Mike Prather presents: The Return of Owens Lake

      We are 10 years into the Los Angeles Owens Lake Dust Control Project
      and the birds as well as the dust have been settling. A wildlife
      legacy never thought possible again has returned. Audubon-California
      and Eastern Sierra Audubon have been actively working to fashion a
      comprehensive master plan for Owens Lake that will enhance and protect
      the returning shorebirds and waterfowl. The challenge is great, but
      our commitment is strong. Tens of thousands of birds attracted to the
      water being used to control dust forage and rest during spring and
      fall migration. The lake has become the largest snowy plover nesting
      site in California with over 600 adults present. This program by Mike
      Prather from the Eastern Sierra Audubon chapter will take you on a
      fieldtrip of Owens Lake�s natural and human history. It will hopefully
      provide a glimpse of the lake�s future.

      LAAS is sponsoring a fieldtrip to Owens Lake on Saturday March 31,
      2012 led by Mike Prather.

      Come and join us this night!
      Mary Freeman

      Glendale, CA

      Los Angeles Audubon Society Program Chair and Fieldtrip Leader

      http://losangelesaudubon.org/

      323.876.0202 LAAS phone line

      323.550.8533 alternate line