Shasta rarities

  • BRUCE DEUEL
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2012
      Hi all,
      Bob Yutzy and I refound the Common Redpoll on McArthur Swamp Road this
      morning around 0830. It was first spotted only a few feet from the orange
      flagging on the fence post. When we first got there we saw no birds of any
      kind at that spot. We went looking back down the canal to the bridge on
      Rat Farm Road, found a few goldfinches and followed them back when they
      flew toward the flagging. When we got there, there were many Savannah
      Sparrows and over 100 Lesser Goldfinches, with a few Americans, and while
      we were perusing them as they sat in the weeds between the road and the
      canal, Bob saw the redpoll on the fence. When last seen it had moved
      across to the weeds on the east side of the canal with some goldfinches.

      We then looked for longspurs without luck, searching a flock of 45 Horned
      Larks carefully. Moving over to Island Road we found the Richard Norton
      party of four birders from Southern California and eventually the six of us
      managed to see both the American Tree Sparrow and the Red-naped Sapsucker
      in the yard of the house with the "Don't Drive on the Lawn" sign. The
      owner of same came out and invited us into the yard where we got our best
      looks.

      It was a great day to be up there with calm winds and almost toasty
      sunshine later in the day. Many good birds of that habitat, but the most
      interesting to me, as an old waterfowl biologist, was the group of 150
      *taverneri
      *Cackling Geese hanging out with the Greather White-fronts and Tundra Swans
      on the Glenburn Road. I think this is the largest group of that taxon I've
      ever seen in California.

      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Red Bluff

    • Bob & Carol Yutzy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2012
        Hello all,

        The only thing I might add to Bruce's report is that we met up with Ken
        Able and had
        about 500 Tundra Swans on Glenburn/Fall River Mills Road on the West
        side of the
        valley when heading home. Two of the birds had identifiable tags on
        their neck collars.

        Bob Yutzy
        Shasta, CA

        On 1/5/2012 5:30 PM, BRUCE DEUEL wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Bob Yutzy and I refound the Common Redpoll on McArthur Swamp Road this
        > morning around 0830. It was first spotted only a few feet from the orange
        > flagging on the fence post. When we first got there we saw no birds of any
        > kind at that spot. We went looking back down the canal to the bridge on
        > Rat Farm Road, found a few goldfinches and followed them back when they
        > flew toward the flagging. When we got there, there were many Savannah
        > Sparrows and over 100 Lesser Goldfinches, with a few Americans, and while
        > we were perusing them as they sat in the weeds between the road and the
        > canal, Bob saw the redpoll on the fence. When last seen it had moved
        > across to the weeds on the east side of the canal with some goldfinches.
        >
        > We then looked for longspurs without luck, searching a flock of 45 Horned
        > Larks carefully. Moving over to Island Road we found the Richard Norton
        > party of four birders from Southern California and eventually the six
        > of us
        > managed to see both the American Tree Sparrow and the Red-naped Sapsucker
        > in the yard of the house with the "Don't Drive on the Lawn" sign. The
        > owner of same came out and invited us into the yard where we got our best
        > looks.
        >
        > It was a great day to be up there with calm winds and almost toasty
        > sunshine later in the day. Many good birds of that habitat, but the most
        > interesting to me, as an old waterfowl biologist, was the group of 150
        > *taverneri
        > *Cackling Geese hanging out with the Greather White-fronts and Tundra
        > Swans
        > on the Glenburn Road. I think this is the largest group of that taxon I've
        > ever seen in California.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Bruce Deuel
        > Red Bluff