California Gnatcatcher in San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve

  • sramachandramurthi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2012
      Hi folks,

      I know many traveling birders look for California Gnatcatchers in Southern California.
      I did the same during a recent trip to San Diego.

      As a nice Christmas present,
      late in the morning on December 25, 2011, I got several
      California Gnatcatchers on the south side of the
      San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve in Solana Beach, California.

      Here's a short video of the birds I saw:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2FqKb8cPUE

      The trail map is here:
      http://www.sanelijo.org/sites/sanelijo.org/files/Publications/Trailguides/rios.pdf

      The birds were on both sides of the
      Gemma Parks Interpretive trail through the
      area marked "CSS" (i.e. Coastal Sage Scrub) on the above map.
      They were quite active and noisy around 11 AM in calm, sunny weather.

      Happy New Year!

      --Sidd Ramachandramurthi