Falcated Duck continues

  • Ruth Rudesill
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 14, 2011
      Since no one else posted, the Falcated Duck was out in the open, fairly close to viewing platform at Colusa NWR yesterday 12/13 afternoon at about 2 pm. Absolutely gorgeous!

      The bird was hiding in the tules behind the islands since early that morning but a Northern Harrier flew over, stirring things up; the bird was found in full sunlight and worth the wait (or in my case, the 4th time trying since 2002 missing one at Honey Lake and Eugene OR.)

      Colusa NWR is on Hwy 20 east of I-5, exit at Williams (where there is gas and food available.)

      Ruth Rudesill
      Kenwood CA

    • chuckdresel
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
        Friends,
        The Falcated Duck duck remains at Colusa NWR. He was seen continuously this morning from sunrise until I left at 10 am. He was active around the first island, in and out of the water, preening and feeding. Other birds of interest on the tour route were American Bittern, Eurasian Wigeon, and a Great-horned Owl.

        Cheers,
        Chuck Dresel
        Napa, CA
      • Chet Ogan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2011
          Hi birders,
          I observed the Falcated Duck this morning from 7:45 to 8:00 to the right side of the viewing platform, Colusa NWR. It was swimming and feeding with a pair of American Wigeon very close to the platform in the area of the rushes right of the platform.

          Chet Ogan
          Eureka,CA

          When we try to pick out anything by itself,
          we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
          -John Muir

          The first precaution of intelligent ecological tinkering is to keep every cog and wheel.
          -Aldo Leopold

          A system of conservation based solely on economic self-interest is hopelessly lopsided.
          -Aldo Leopold

          Chet Ogan
          chet_ogan@...
          707-442-9353
          707-496-9001

        • erpfromca@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2012
            For those who have not yet made it up there, the Falcated Duck was very
            cooperative this morning, coming fairly close to the platform at Colusa NWR
            and looking most spectacular in perfect light...courting and displaying for
            the benefit of both female and male wigeon.

            Of other nearby interest, a Eurasian Wigeon was on the north side of
            Norman Rd/County Rd 68 just west of the Glenn/Colusa border (in Glenn County) in
            the midst of a couple thousand Snow (and Ross's) Geese (one "Blue" Snow in
            the mix).

            Ed Pandolfino
            Sacramento, CA