Re: [CALBIRDS] Falcated Duck in Colusa NWR

  • Sally Walters & Don Schmoldt
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
      It was observed from about 4ish until past sunset and closer in to the observation deck. Stunning easy views. We are grateful to the woman who re-found it. She was scanning the entire area not just the spot! A female was associated with it for a while when they were feeding. Then they separated as the male walked on shore. No leg bands observed.
      Sally

      SallyWalters & DonSchmoldt
      Sacramento County, Ca
      BajaOwl@...

    • Naturestoc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
        The beautiful male Falcated Duck was still present at sundown! Last seen near the west end of the long island due north of the first viewing platform that you come to immediately after passing the headquarters. Thanks Dan Tankersley for this find and thanks to John Sterling for getting the word out! Here is a link to one very heavily cropped image of the bird. He was not close to us! :-( http://naturestoc.smugmug.com/Recentphotos-3/Recent-photos/15963961_RvHXFK

        Dan Brown, Sacramento
        www.naturestoc.smugmug.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
          Gary Fregien and Dan Tankersley get equal credit for finding and identifying this bird quickly.