Re: Re: [CALBIRDS] RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL on San Clemente Island

  • Desert Iguana
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
      To become better prepared, for the next one that lands at Malibu Lagoon,
      Bolsa Chica, or Fort Rosecrans!
      Thomas Geza Miko
      Claremont 91711
      Los Angeles County, California
      U.S.A.
      909.241.3300
      909.445.1456
      Http://www.radioactivebirdwatcher.blogspot.com
      Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
        or Catalina or Anacapa or Santa Cruz I or any other islands open to the public and probably underbirded for vagrants.

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
          I don't know Ed but surely his initial message was tongue in cheek.
          But regardless. I bird with an assumption that red-flanked bluetails
          (and all types of other goodies) are everywhere. Yet I am disappointed
          daily when I don't see at least one. The truth of the matter,
          probabilities point to more than this one being in California's
          airspace at the moment. It is a Where's Waldo game and it is up to us
          to document their occurrence.

          One thing that I occasionally yearn for is having a magic book that
          would tell me how many Bewick's Wrens are within ear shot of me. As I
          do my 8 hour long stationary hawk watches, in the fall for example, an
          individual stealthy bird might call only 6-12 times all day (5
          cumulative seconds/8 daylight hours) and of course I never see it
          because it calls/feeds from within group of mountain mahogany 60
          meters away.

          How many bluetails, brown shrikes, arctic warblers, long-billed
          murrelets etc are in CA that this moment? Probably multiples. What
          percentage of birds in Californian airspace at this moment have
          actually been seen in their lifetimes by a human eye or even a birders
          eye who can ID it? Way less than 1%? Probably.... We cover such a
          small fraction of the acreage of this diverse state.

          Fun stuff to ponder.

          Flock on!

          Elias
          Arcata CA/San Diego CA
          Walkie talkie primero 707-633-8833
          Last ditch alternate 559-433-7254

        • thunefeld
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
            Note to self: Only post reports of rare birds that Ed Stonick is able to chase.

            Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas