Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: [LACoBirds] Story behind the Red-flanked Bluetail

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2011
      Regarding the assignment of county boundaries over time, I have a short
      summary on line at
      http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/CAcounties.html
      San Diego and Mariposa counties have much more to bemoan in their "loss"
      of county birding sites than does Los Angeles.

      In 1872, Ventura County was carved out of Santa Barbara County, and
      various Channel Island assigned. However, Santa Barbara Island remained
      with Santa Barbara County, despite its geographically "wrong" fit in
      that scheme, and I think that had to do with the name "Santa Barbara
      Island" which some wished to remain in the namesake County, geography be
      damned. Nobody else much cared, so that is what happened.

      Don Roberson