Re: [CALBIRDS] Falcated Duck in Colusa NWR

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
      The bird was still there when I left at noon, but much further out than when first found at 10 am. A scope is needed, but I am sure that they'll be plenty of people there this afternoon with scopes.

      good luck!

      John Sterling

      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 908-3836
      jsterling@...

      www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

      On Dec 8, 2011, at 10:09 AM, John Sterling wrote:

      > Dan Tankersley just called me to report a male Falcated Duck at the first view platform at the Colusa National Wildlife Refuge off Hwy 20 between Williams and the town of Colusa
      >
      > I am on my way.......
      >
      > John Sterling
      >
      > 26 Palm Ave
      > Woodland, CA 95695
      > 530 908-3836
      > jsterling@...
      >
      > www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

    • John Cant
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
        What is the probability that this is a wild bird? I Googled falcated duck
        and found something by Joe Morlan, 2002 regarding a falcated in Lassen
        County. At that time there was considerable question about escapees.

        John Cant
        Fremont

        The bird was still there when I left at noon, but much further out than when
        first found at 10 am. A scope is needed, but I am sure that they'll be
        plenty of people there this afternoon with scopes.

        good luck!

        John Sterling

        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 908-3836
        jsterling@...

        www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

        On Dec 8, 2011, at 10:09 AM, John Sterling wrote:

        > Dan Tankersley just called me to report a male Falcated Duck at the first
        view platform at the Colusa National Wildlife Refuge off Hwy 20 between
        Williams and the town of Colusa

        > I am on my way.......
        >
        > John Sterling
        >
        > 26 Palm Ave
        > Woodland, CA 95695
        > 530 908-3836
        > jsterling@...
        >
        > www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

      • Sally Walters & Don Schmoldt
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
          It was observed from about 4ish until past sunset and closer in to the observation deck. Stunning easy views. We are grateful to the woman who re-found it. She was scanning the entire area not just the spot! A female was associated with it for a while when they were feeding. Then they separated as the male walked on shore. No leg bands observed.
          Sally

          SallyWalters & DonSchmoldt
          Sacramento County, Ca
          BajaOwl@...

        • Naturestoc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
            The beautiful male Falcated Duck was still present at sundown! Last seen near the west end of the long island due north of the first viewing platform that you come to immediately after passing the headquarters. Thanks Dan Tankersley for this find and thanks to John Sterling for getting the word out! Here is a link to one very heavily cropped image of the bird. He was not close to us! :-( http://naturestoc.smugmug.com/Recentphotos-3/Recent-photos/15963961_RvHXFK

            Dan Brown, Sacramento
            www.naturestoc.smugmug.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2011
              Gary Fregien and Dan Tankersley get equal credit for finding and identifying this bird quickly.