Rarity Blackouts and Xmas Bird Count Helpers

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
      First, I agree that announcing "unviewable" rarities is a bad idea. It may create unneeded stress and anxiety reactions on our bodies. So let me suggest a reasonable time period for withholding this information. The average birder is 50 years old (http://library.fws.gov/pubs/birding_natsurvey06.pdf), so let's say a 50 year blackout period should be our rule. That way, we won't hear about the particular rarity during most birder's lifetimes, and if we live past 100, we probably won't care!

      On another note, let me post my annual plea for people to participate in Christmas Bird Counts (below).

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point

      CBC Counts: We need everyone's help

      My late brother used to say there were three types of people in the
      world. Those that make things happen, those that watch things happen,
      and those that open up their eyes and say "What happened?" When it
      comes to participation (or lack of it) in the annual Christmas Bird
      Counts, those categories seem to fit well.

      There are a cadre of birders, in the minority when compared to the
      memberships we see in birding Yahoo groups and local Audubon Societies
      in our area, that carry the "load" and participate in not just one,
      but multiple Christmas Bird Counts each year. These birders not only
      get a "high" by using their skills for citizen science, but also use
      the occasion as a learning and social experience. There is always
      something to learn from the experienced field observer to the
      beginning birder, and there is always a place for both on Count day.

      A Google search on reasons for participating in the Count and my own
      thoughts on the matter include: by force of numbers we make our
      presence known among the citizens and politicians of our communities
      and thus represent a political force; publicity generated by such
      counts appears in newspapers and other media and elevates public
      awareness of conservation problems and land preservation; we show
      that non-consumptive use of wildlife is just as important to a large
      segment of the public as people who hunt the same species we might
      tally; population data accumulated from the Counts support bird
      conservation initiatives; the information can be used to test success
      rates of reintroduction efforts; information accumulated is used to
      determine the effects of disease (such as the West Nile Virus) and
      weather on bird populations; as urbanization increases, the
      information is crucial for seeing population trends in our native and
      introduced species; it continues a tradition started on 25 December
      1900 by Frank Chapman and 26 other concerned citizens in 13 states as
      a response to a traditional indiscriminate killing of birds around the
      same date; you join over 50,000 other birders doing over 1800 count
      circles who show their love of bird watching with their participation;
      one individual can make a difference in these types of counts; it is a
      holiday tradition, and for our own mental health, we need to
      participate, encourage others to participate, and maintain such
      events; it's a small payback we can make to a hobby that gives many of
      us a great amount of satisfaction; it gives us a chance to try out our
      new gadgets... digital cameras, new binoculars, ipods, etc. and
      justify the cost to our families (and ourselves); it gets us away from
      our televisions and computer monitors and into the field and improves
      our mental and physical health; and everyone who participates
      probably has additional reasons and individual stories of past events
      (and good species and friendships found).

      So...don't be in the group that watches things happen by others or
      procrastinates about missing happenings, and contact the regional
      coordinators of Orange County's Christmas Bird Counts for placement on
      coverage teams. It's not too late and many teams I know could use an
      extra pair of eyes and data-takers.
    • Paul Keller
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
        Thank you, Joel, for your reasoned and passionate call for Christmas
        Bird Count participation. But let's get real. The demands of the
        Holiday Season discourages so many from thinking about participating
        in other activities. I, for example, have to forgo participation in
        three on my local counts owing to holiday family visits. Not all
        traditions are worth preserving. I say, change the Christmas Bird
        Count to the Winter Bird Count and delay all counts by three weeks.

        Paul Keller
        Vandenberg Village, SB

      • Bob & Carol Yutzy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
          I agree re: postponing the timeline as it is such a crazy time at
          Christmas. But since many people take time off from work around
          Christmas and New Year's, they have time to do a count or two. If the
          counts were held later AND held during the work week (for those who work
          a "standard" work week) I don't think there would be as many
          participants then.

          Tis' a Catch 22 of sorts.

          Happy Counting to All,

          Bob Yutzy
          Shasta, CA

          --
          Bob& Carol Yutzy
          Shasta, CA

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
            Another possible option, if any changes are possible, would be to extend the count period by one week. This would be particularly helpful in the years that the holidays fall on the weekends! So many counts these days!!

            Dan Brown, Sacramento,
            www.naturestoc.smugmug.com

            --
            Bob& Carol Yutzy