Re: Fw: Re: [CALBIRDS] RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL on San Clemente Island

  • LGREUK400@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
      An outstanding record - looks like a first-winter from the images, perhaps
      female

      In the UK, Red-flanked Bluetail is now an annual autumn visitor, from mid
      September to early November, with up to 33 individuals per year. Prior to
      1990, it was an extremely rare vagrant. It is a species which is rapidly
      expanding its distribution westwards in Europe (from Siberia), with numbers
      increasing in Estonia and Finland year-on-year. The breeding population is now
      in the many hundreds of pairs

      What a shame that this beauty cannot be more widely shared - but it perhaps
      won't be the last opportunity

      There has never been a Red-flanked Bluetail wintering in Europe yet and
      average stays of between 4 and 15 days are the norm

      All the very best

      Lee G R Evans
      British Birding Association
      UK400 Club, Rare Birds Magazine, Ornithological Consultant and
      Conservationist

      Professional Guiding from as little as £63 per day - name the species and
      I'll do my best to show you it

      Keep up with Lee's daily exploits on his DIARY PAGE at
      http://thebirdingdiariesofleeevans.blogspot.com/

      Rare Bird Alerts:
      _http://rarebirdsinbritain.blogspot.com/_
      (http://rarebirdsinbritain.blogspot.com/)

      Email Address: LGREUK400@...
      Website Address: _www.uk400clubonline.co.uk_
      (http://www.uk400clubonline.co.uk/)
      Related Blog Sites: _http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/_
      (http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/) _
      http://rarebirdsinthewesternpalearctic.blogspot.com/http://birdingamersham.blogspot.com/_
      (http://birdingamersham.blogspot.com/) _ http://birdingtringreservoirs.blogspot.com/_
      (http://birdingtringreservoirs.blogspot.com/)
      _http://calvertbirding.blogspot.com/_ (http://calvertbirding.blogspot.com/)
      _http://hertfordshirebirding.blogspot.com/_
      (http://hertfordshirebirding.blogspot.com/)
      _http://buckinghamshirebirding.blogspot.com/_
      (http://buckinghamshirebirding.blogspot.com/)
      _http://birdreportexchange.blogspot.com/_
      (http://birdreportexchange.blogspot.com/)

      Telephones: 01494 763010 and 01494 581157
      Mobile/Text Alerts: 07881 906629

      (Lee Evans Enterprises incorporate documentation of rare bird occurrences
      in Britain & Ireland and elsewhere in the Western Palearctic and in North
      America; Rare Bird Information and Rare Bird Alerts; Rare Birds Magazine and
      other related publications; Bird Tours for Birders)

    • Guy McCaskie
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
        Kimball,

        I couldn't agree more. Well said.

        Guy McCaskie

        Secretary CBRC

        guymcc@...

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
          I agree with the previous posts of Kimball and Guy as well. More
          importantly, who knows this bird may make landfall on the immediate mainland
          coast soon... BE ON THE LOOK OUT!!!!!

          There is a good chance it might move on and probably will soon unless it
          winters, doubtful? For this reason alone it should be reported immediately!
          Maybe other individuals to come soon, but unlikely?

          Fingers crossed here for a mainland landfall in the Central Valley of
          California, You never know.

          Todd Easterla

          Rancho Cordova, CA

          From: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS%40yahoogroups.com>

          kgarrett@... <mailto:kgarrett%40nhm.org> <mailto:kgarrett%40nhm.org>
          http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

          Why is it off limits!? Can anything be done about it! Seems unfair, (and
          silly to immediately report as a rare bird).
          JMHO,Ed

        • Desert Iguana
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
            To become better prepared, for the next one that lands at Malibu Lagoon,
            Bolsa Chica, or Fort Rosecrans!
            Thomas Geza Miko
            Claremont 91711
            Los Angeles County, California
            U.S.A.
            909.241.3300
            909.445.1456
            Http://www.radioactivebirdwatcher.blogspot.com
            Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
              or Catalina or Anacapa or Santa Cruz I or any other islands open to the public and probably underbirded for vagrants.

              Steve Hampton
              ________________
              Resource Economist
              Office of Spill Prevention and Response
              California Dept of Fish and Game
              PO Box 944209
              Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
              -----------------------------------
              (916) 323-4724 phone
              (916) 324-8829 fax

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
                I don't know Ed but surely his initial message was tongue in cheek.
                But regardless. I bird with an assumption that red-flanked bluetails
                (and all types of other goodies) are everywhere. Yet I am disappointed
                daily when I don't see at least one. The truth of the matter,
                probabilities point to more than this one being in California's
                airspace at the moment. It is a Where's Waldo game and it is up to us
                to document their occurrence.

                One thing that I occasionally yearn for is having a magic book that
                would tell me how many Bewick's Wrens are within ear shot of me. As I
                do my 8 hour long stationary hawk watches, in the fall for example, an
                individual stealthy bird might call only 6-12 times all day (5
                cumulative seconds/8 daylight hours) and of course I never see it
                because it calls/feeds from within group of mountain mahogany 60
                meters away.

                How many bluetails, brown shrikes, arctic warblers, long-billed
                murrelets etc are in CA that this moment? Probably multiples. What
                percentage of birds in Californian airspace at this moment have
                actually been seen in their lifetimes by a human eye or even a birders
                eye who can ID it? Way less than 1%? Probably.... We cover such a
                small fraction of the acreage of this diverse state.

                Fun stuff to ponder.

                Flock on!

                Elias
                Arcata CA/San Diego CA
                Walkie talkie primero 707-633-8833
                Last ditch alternate 559-433-7254

              • thunefeld
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
                  Note to self: Only post reports of rare birds that Ed Stonick is able to chase.

                  Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas