RE: Re: [CALBIRDS] RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL on San Clemente Island

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
      Ed,

      San Clemente is a military (Navy) island, with active bombardment, etc. It is also ecologically very fragile. Access is understandably highly restricted. And I couldn't disagree more with your comment that it was "silly" to report this rarity immediately -- it was quite a newsworthy event. Many people subscribe to this listserve because they want to learn, not because they only want to chase.

      KLG

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
      213-763-3368
      kgarrett@...
      http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
        An outstanding record - looks like a first-winter from the images, perhaps
        female

        In the UK, Red-flanked Bluetail is now an annual autumn visitor, from mid
        September to early November, with up to 33 individuals per year. Prior to
        1990, it was an extremely rare vagrant. It is a species which is rapidly
        expanding its distribution westwards in Europe (from Siberia), with numbers
        increasing in Estonia and Finland year-on-year. The breeding population is now
        in the many hundreds of pairs

        What a shame that this beauty cannot be more widely shared - but it perhaps
        won't be the last opportunity

        There has never been a Red-flanked Bluetail wintering in Europe yet and
        average stays of between 4 and 15 days are the norm

        All the very best

        Lee G R Evans
        British Birding Association
        UK400 Club, Rare Birds Magazine, Ornithological Consultant and
        Conservationist

        Professional Guiding from as little as £63 per day - name the species and
        I'll do my best to show you it

        Keep up with Lee's daily exploits on his DIARY PAGE at
        http://thebirdingdiariesofleeevans.blogspot.com/

        Rare Bird Alerts:
        _http://rarebirdsinbritain.blogspot.com/_
        (http://rarebirdsinbritain.blogspot.com/)

        Email Address: LGREUK400@...
        Website Address: _www.uk400clubonline.co.uk_
        (http://www.uk400clubonline.co.uk/)
        Related Blog Sites: _http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/_
        (http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/) _
        http://rarebirdsinthewesternpalearctic.blogspot.com/http://birdingamersham.blogspot.com/_
        (http://birdingamersham.blogspot.com/) _ http://birdingtringreservoirs.blogspot.com/_
        (http://birdingtringreservoirs.blogspot.com/)
        _http://calvertbirding.blogspot.com/_ (http://calvertbirding.blogspot.com/)
        _http://hertfordshirebirding.blogspot.com/_
        (http://hertfordshirebirding.blogspot.com/)
        _http://buckinghamshirebirding.blogspot.com/_
        (http://buckinghamshirebirding.blogspot.com/)
        _http://birdreportexchange.blogspot.com/_
        (http://birdreportexchange.blogspot.com/)

        Telephones: 01494 763010 and 01494 581157
        Mobile/Text Alerts: 07881 906629

        (Lee Evans Enterprises incorporate documentation of rare bird occurrences
        in Britain & Ireland and elsewhere in the Western Palearctic and in North
        America; Rare Bird Information and Rare Bird Alerts; Rare Birds Magazine and
        other related publications; Bird Tours for Birders)

      • Guy McCaskie
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
          Kimball,

          I couldn't agree more. Well said.

          Guy McCaskie

          Secretary CBRC

          guymcc@...

          _____

          kgarrett@... <mailto:kgarrett%40nhm.org>
          http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

          Why is it off limits!? Can anything be done about it! Seems unfair, (and
          silly to immediately report as a rare bird).
          JMHO,Ed

        • Todd Easterla
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2011
            I agree with the previous posts of Kimball and Guy as well. More
            importantly, who knows this bird may make landfall on the immediate mainland
            coast soon... BE ON THE LOOK OUT!!!!!

            There is a good chance it might move on and probably will soon unless it
            winters, doubtful? For this reason alone it should be reported immediately!
            Maybe other individuals to come soon, but unlikely?

            Fingers crossed here for a mainland landfall in the Central Valley of
            California, You never know.

            Todd Easterla

            Rancho Cordova, CA

            From: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS%40yahoogroups.com>

            kgarrett@... <mailto:kgarrett%40nhm.org> <mailto:kgarrett%40nhm.org>
            http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

            Why is it off limits!? Can anything be done about it! Seems unfair, (and
            silly to immediately report as a rare bird).
            JMHO,Ed

          • Desert Iguana
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
              To become better prepared, for the next one that lands at Malibu Lagoon,
              Bolsa Chica, or Fort Rosecrans!
              Thomas Geza Miko
              Claremont 91711
              Los Angeles County, California
              U.S.A.
              909.241.3300
              909.445.1456
              Http://www.radioactivebirdwatcher.blogspot.com
              Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
                or Catalina or Anacapa or Santa Cruz I or any other islands open to the public and probably underbirded for vagrants.

                Steve Hampton
                ________________
                Resource Economist
                Office of Spill Prevention and Response
                California Dept of Fish and Game
                PO Box 944209
                Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
                -----------------------------------
                (916) 323-4724 phone
                (916) 324-8829 fax

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
                  I don't know Ed but surely his initial message was tongue in cheek.
                  But regardless. I bird with an assumption that red-flanked bluetails
                  (and all types of other goodies) are everywhere. Yet I am disappointed
                  daily when I don't see at least one. The truth of the matter,
                  probabilities point to more than this one being in California's
                  airspace at the moment. It is a Where's Waldo game and it is up to us
                  to document their occurrence.

                  One thing that I occasionally yearn for is having a magic book that
                  would tell me how many Bewick's Wrens are within ear shot of me. As I
                  do my 8 hour long stationary hawk watches, in the fall for example, an
                  individual stealthy bird might call only 6-12 times all day (5
                  cumulative seconds/8 daylight hours) and of course I never see it
                  because it calls/feeds from within group of mountain mahogany 60
                  meters away.

                  How many bluetails, brown shrikes, arctic warblers, long-billed
                  murrelets etc are in CA that this moment? Probably multiples. What
                  percentage of birds in Californian airspace at this moment have
                  actually been seen in their lifetimes by a human eye or even a birders
                  eye who can ID it? Way less than 1%? Probably.... We cover such a
                  small fraction of the acreage of this diverse state.

                  Fun stuff to ponder.

                  Flock on!

                  Elias
                  Arcata CA/San Diego CA
                  Walkie talkie primero 707-633-8833
                  Last ditch alternate 559-433-7254

                • thunefeld
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2011
                    Note to self: Only post reports of rare birds that Ed Stonick is able to chase.

                    Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas