Re: [CALBIRDS] RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL on San Clemente Island

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
      On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:24:19 -0800, Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>
      wrote:

      >I just got word from Justyn Stahl out on San Clemente Island that Jethro
      >Runco found and photographed a Red-flanked Bluetail today. Both observers
      >were able to refind the bird later. Unfortunately for all of us, the island
      >is off-limits to the public, so chasing is not possible. Nonetheless, a
      >real MEGA, and congratulations to Jethro and Justyn.
      >
      >See photos below:
      >
      >http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S9289038
      >
      >I wonder how long the bird has been there, and if it will winter???

      An additional photo by Jethro Runco and made available to WFO by Justyn
      Stahl is on the WFO web site. Click on thumbnail for larger images.

      http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-467
      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      SF Birding Classes start Feb 7 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
        I agree 100%
        I'd much prefer knowing than not knowing.
        Bruce Barrett

        In a message dated 07/12/2011 12:09:43 Pacific Standard Time,
        kgarrett@... writes:

        Ed,

        San Clemente is a military (Navy) island, with active bombardment, etc. It
        is also ecologically very fragile. Access is understandably highly
        restricted. And I couldn't disagree more with your comment that it was "silly" to
        people subscribe to this listserve because they want to learn, not because
        they only want to chase.

        KLG

      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2011
          Of course, the best way to avoid Elias' daily disappointment is to seek
          pleasure in the mundane. I know most of us do (and I know full well
          Elias does), but some lose sight of the beauty of the birds we see every
          day and the interesting things we can observe just by watching them.

          Ken Burton
          Eureka