RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL on San Clemente Island

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2011
      Birders

      I just got word from Justyn Stahl out on San Clemente Island that Jethro
      Runco found and photographed a Red-flanked Bluetail today. Both observers
      were able to refind the bird later. Unfortunately for all of us, the island
      is off-limits to the public, so chasing is not possible. Nonetheless, a
      real MEGA, and congratulations to Jethro and Justyn.

      See photos below:

      http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S9289038

      I wonder how long the bird has been there, and if it will winter???

      --
      ===========
      *Brian L. Sullivan

      eBird/AKN Project Leader *
      www.ebird.org
      www.avianknowledge.net

      *Photo Editor*
      Birds of North America Online
      http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
      North American Birds
      www.americanbirding.org
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
        On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:24:19 -0800, Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>
        wrote:

        >I just got word from Justyn Stahl out on San Clemente Island that Jethro
        >Runco found and photographed a Red-flanked Bluetail today. Both observers
        >were able to refind the bird later. Unfortunately for all of us, the island
        >is off-limits to the public, so chasing is not possible. Nonetheless, a
        >real MEGA, and congratulations to Jethro and Justyn.
        >
        >See photos below:
        >
        >http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S9289038
        >
        >I wonder how long the bird has been there, and if it will winter???

        An additional photo by Jethro Runco and made available to WFO by Justyn
        Stahl is on the WFO web site. Click on thumbnail for larger images.

        http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-467
        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        SF Birding Classes start Feb 7 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
          I agree 100%
          I'd much prefer knowing than not knowing.
          Bruce Barrett

          In a message dated 07/12/2011 12:09:43 Pacific Standard Time,
          kgarrett@... writes:

          Ed,

          San Clemente is a military (Navy) island, with active bombardment, etc. It
          is also ecologically very fragile. Access is understandably highly
          restricted. And I couldn't disagree more with your comment that it was "silly" to
          people subscribe to this listserve because they want to learn, not because
          they only want to chase.

          KLG

        • Ken Burton
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2011
            Of course, the best way to avoid Elias' daily disappointment is to seek
            pleasure in the mundane. I know most of us do (and I know full well
            Elias does), but some lose sight of the beauty of the birds we see every
            day and the interesting things we can observe just by watching them.

            Ken Burton
            Eureka