Winter Wren in Sacramento County

  • Chris Conard
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2011
      Folks,

      I received a couple of suggestions to post this to a wider audience.
      Although the site has no public access, the occurrence of this bird in
      the Central Valley may be of statewide interest.

      While performing a bird survey on 27 Nov 2011 on a closed portion of
      Cosumnes River Preserve, a Winter Wren responded to a broadcast
      Pacific Wren song at ~1025 am.  It flew in and called on and off for
      about 10 minutes.  The bird sounded like an eastern bird and the
      plumage details appear to be consistent.  Unfortunately there is no
      public access to this site and it is a four-mile round trip through
      thigh high vegetation.

      I was initially tentative about the ID, but comments received have
      been positive and I believe this to be a Winter Wren.

      Videos with audio and video stills of the bird are here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/conardc/

      I also uploaded video of a calling "Winter Wren" (in the broad sense)
      from 5 Dec 2009 that had a call similar in quality to the call note of
      Song Sparrow.  This sounds less like the Winter Wren (in the strict
      sense) recordings from eastern North America found on xento-canto
      (http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php), but more song sparrow-like
      than most Pacific Wrens I hear.  I especially welcome comments on this
      bird, since it sounds different from the 27 Nov 2011 bird, but also
      different from a Pacific Wren.

      Pacific Wren is a rare but regular winter resident in dense riparian
      forest in Sacramento County and elsewhere in the Central Valley.

      All the best,

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento