Worm-eating Warbler, Imperial County 11-26-11

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2011
      Hi all,

      The following was posted to inlandcountybirds and SDBirds but as an afterthought it dawned on me that being a county record it should also be posted to Calbirds so here it is! A Worm-eating Warbler is at Ramer Lake. Directions and more below.

      Hi all,

      10:15am. Just got a call from Mark Jorgensen who got a call from Sacramento birder Craig Swolgaard who is currenty looking at a WROM-EATING WARBLER in the large cottonwood tree above the entrance kiosk at Ramer Lake.

      I am in the office in El Centro so will not be able to get out there till this evening :-(

      Will post more when I hear it!

      Hi all,

      Wait a second.... why can't I leave the office!!!!!

      When I arrived at Ramer Lake, Guy McCaskie, Barbara Kraus and Cuz Wagoner were already looking at the WORM-EATING WARBLER. Craig Swolgaard, the original finder of the bird, came up a few minutes later and we spent an hour standing in the same spot as the bird would appear then be gone for awhile but was still working the same patch when we all left about 1pm. The bird favors the very large cottonwood about 50 feet east of the east kiosk nearest to Kershaw Road and the railroad tracks. It is in the closed fenced area but easily viewed from the fence with patience.

      Yellow-rumped Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher are working the trees as well.

      A flock of about 150-200 MOUNTAIN PLOVER, at a long distance, flew over from the east to the northwest which was a sweet surprise. Would not have seen them at all had I not been glassing a distant Red-tailed Hawk and seen a mass of specks way beyond. Fist thought was extremely distant Long-billed Curlew but we quickly realized that they were coming at us at several hundred feet altitude and were MUCH closer than we thought. The flashes of white undersides gave them away.

      See ya at the sea......