Re Unsubscribe

  • Raymond Schep
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
      Steve Sosensky <mobile@...> wrote: Hi Calbirders,

      Two things about this post.

      First, please remember that virus discussions are not usually permitted on
      Calbirds. However, because of the high profile of the current viruses, I'm
      being a bit lax on this. Needless to say, it is poor net citizenship to
      download email, or any file, from the internet without virus protection
      software installed and running.

      Second, the Code Red worm does not come in an email attachment. It attacks
      through port 80 IF YOU ARE RUNNING A WEB SERVER USING WINDOWS NT OR WINDOWS
      2000 AND MICROSOFT IIS WEB SERVER SOFTWARE, AND YOU HAVE NOT INSTALLED THE
      MICROSOFT PATCH THAT FIXES THE VULNERABILITY PROBLEM. If you are not
      running a web server using these programs, you are not vulnerable to attack
      from Code Red. If your ISP has not installed the patch, however, you may
      lose internet service if they are attacked.

      At 02:02 PM 2001-07-30 -0700, Don DesJardin wrote:
      >I thought I would pass this on to any user that is running Windows 2000 or
      >NT. There is a site where you can download a patch to combat this virus.
      >The URL is:
      >
      >http://www.digitalisland.net/codered
      >
      >Here is an excerpt from their page.
      >
      >"Code Red has already infected more than 300,000 Windows servers and, on
      >July 19th, caused major degradation of the Internet. It will begin a new
      >infestation on
      >Tuesday evening, July 31. Anyone who runs Windows 2000 or Windows NT may be
      >infecting other users and hurting performance on the Internet (Windows 95,
      >98, and ME users are unaffected). Patching your system to keep it from
      >being infected is critically important."
      >
      >Also it is worth noting that my virus checker (Norton) is not picking up
      >this virus every time it comes in as an attachment. It has changed its
      >disguise such, that the file extension looks like a valid attachment.
      >Remember, to be safe, just delete anything that doesn't look right.
      >San Buenaventura, California, USA

      >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
      >Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email.