Advanced CALBIRDS Message Searching

  • Christopher Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2011
      I wanted to announce to the listserv the launch of a more advanced
      searching tool for CALBIRDS. Personally, I find the Yahoo! Groups
      search functionality to be clunky, slow and doesn't return the
      information I'm really looking for.

      That said, I invite you mine new search interface a try:
      http://www.calbirds.com/

      Some examples of usage....

      Search for a specific author (eg. John Sterling):
      http://www.calbirds.com/index.php?page=1&fdate=&text=john+sterling&f=on

      Search for a particular species (eg. Marsh Sandpiper):
      http://www.calbirds.com/index.php?page=1&fdate=&text=marsh+sandpiper&s=on&b=on
      * Returns species name, photo, latin name, banding code
      * Returns a graph of historical references to species - great for seeing trends.
      * Link to most recent eBird observation data
      * Returns messages relevant, in descending order by date

      Search by location (eg. Monterey):
      http://www.calbirds.com/index.php?page=1&fdate=&text=monterey&s=on&b=on

      This is a work in progress - This is a little over one days worth of
      programming so please send me any bugs, suggestions, etc. I plan to
      incorporate more graphs/chart data in the future as well.

      Cheers,

      Christopher Taylor
      Marina del Rey, CA
      http://kiwifoto.com