Re: SLO county cacklers

  • lamoustique
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2011
      The white collar apparently is not much of an indicator of the subspecies, even though at one time it was thought to be.
      From sibleyguides.com:
      White collars

      A white collar at the base of the neck below the dark "neck sock" is a conspicuous feature of some Canada and Cackling Geese. It tends to be more common in the smaller subspecies and is most conspicuous in the dark-breasted ones, since it contrasts more with a dark breast than with a pale one. A survey by Marquardt (1961) of presumed B. c. parvipes and B. h. hutchinsii in the southern Central flyway (Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas) found that nearly 50% of adults and 25% of immatures had white collars, even though Palmer (1976) and Mowbray et al (2002) report that these two subspecies seldom show a white collar. Even in B. h. leucopareia, the Aleutian Cackling Goose that is characterized by a broad white collar, Palmer (1976) reports a survey of nesting birds on Buldir Island, Alaska in which 47 birds had a white collar, 9 had no white collar, and 8 had breasts so pale that a white collar was not discernible. Perhaps with more data the presence of a white collar will have some value as a weak indicator of one subspecies over another, but at this point it seems nearly worthless.

      http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/identification-of-cackling-and-canada-goose/

      Michelle Maani
      Nipomo, California