Shoshone Village, CA 92384 Bird Report

  • Len Warren
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2011
      Hi Birders,
      Sadly,
      I think the Wood Thrush has departed. I have NOT relocated the Dusky-capped Flycatcher.
      However my spirits were lifted today as a lovely female Varied Thrush took over the garden hose pond today, and a Ferruginous Hawk gave me great views as it flew over the Village. This was the second Ferriginous Hawk sighted within a week, possibly them same individual.
      Lawrence's Goldfinches a small flock with at least 3 males was reported yesterday around the old catfish pond. 15-20 Bushtits continue to be seen around town and out on the wetlands.
      Phainopeplas are now here in force, and I would estimate 40-60 individuals in Shoshone.They spend a great deal of time defending their patch of Desert Mistletoe against Western Bluebirds, Mockingbirds, American Robins, and Cedar Waxwings. Sage Sparrows, and White-crowned Sparrows are common in the open fields. Crissal Thrasher, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Verdin, and Bewick's Wren are year round residents and hold loose winter territories throughout Shoshone Wetlands.Cooper's Hawks, Northern Harriers,Prairie Falcons, American Kestrels, and Red-tailed Hawks are regularly seen.
      American Pipits, Western Meadowlarks, and Juncos (several types) feed throughout the day on the lawns of the Village. Red-naped Sapsuckers, and Northern Flickers are often found in the larger trees. A lone Cactus Wren sings all year round, but appears to be unpaired since 2008. Please let me know if anyone sees 2 Cactus Wrens at the same time!

      Free Bird-walk every Sunday 8AM meet at Crowbar Restaurant

      Len Warren
      Staff Naturalist
      Shoshone Village, CA
      92384