Panoche Valley

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hello, Birders,

      Below, please find more information about how to integrate and merge your previously published eBird lists for Panoche Valley with the new eBird lists. More than 500 birders visited Panoche Valley last winter and this notice should be helpful to many birders. For the future, I will not post to Calbirds with this information. Not sure if it applies to Calbirds, but making an attempt to get this info out to folks. I will post to Monterey Bay Birds and Countybirders and my own blog, unless there is something special, bird-wise to report. Additional information from Brian Sullivan, below:

      Birders

      As an addendum to this note, if you have birded Panoche Valley in the past, and have plotted your own personal locations that duplicate some of the newly established hotspots, you can merge your locations (and your data) with the existing hotspots. Here's how:

      Go to "My eBird" and then to "Manage my locations". Click 'edit' next to the location you wish to merge. You'll get a map showing your personal location. Click 'Merge', and you'll get a map with the personal location and the existing hotspots. Click on the hotspot that you wish to merge into, click 'merge' and check the box that says 'delete after merging' (this will remove your personal location when the merge is complete). Only perform this operation if your locations are duplicates of these hotspots. eBird always encourages data submissions from precise locations, so in my case, I have a string of point count locations scattered around the valley that are not duplicates of nearby hotspots, and should thus not be merged.

      The biggest problem for conducting analysis (and for your lists) is when you combine a single day's worth of birding into one eBird checklist. Then the Long-eared Owls at Mercey Hot Springs are plotted in the wrong place, Lewis's Woodpeckers up on the pass end up on the valley floor etc. So it's always best to be cognizant of where you are, and to try to keep your eBird checklists to more refined geographic areas. I know this is more data entry (lord I know!), but it really adds value to the data you provide to eBird.

      Thanks

      Brian

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      High Arctic: Polar Bears, Walrus & Seabirds: 28 Jun - 8 July, 2013 charter with Debi