SBT Raptors Tonight

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      Howdy, Birders,

      Well, the raptor show continues! Tonight it was absolutely spectacular, as I happened upon one single field with 10 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS and 4 GOLDEN EAGLES. Another nearby field on JOHN SMITH ROAD was actively being disced while I was there, with an additional 3 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS and numerous RAVENS following the tractor. One of those hawks was a stunningly gorgeous rufous/dark morph. Photographers could be having a field day with this stuff. A female PRAIRIE FALCON was perched on a telephone pole near mailbox number 5250/5238 on SANTA ANA VALLEY ROAD. A full report is at:

      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/11/san-benito-county-birding-november-1.html

      Elsewhere in San Benito County, I noted that the majestic mated pair of BALD EAGLES was perched high in an oak tree, overlooking their valley kingdom where they will begin another nesting season. I believe that this well-bonded pair has remained together throughout the entire year of 2011. It is amazing to watch them, sitting side by side. Lately, they have been sitting side by side at Paicines Reservoir. (Do not trespass) The female of the pair is quite the successful huntress.

      There is no telling how long this raptor show will last. If you do go out to Santa Ana Valley and John Smith Roads, be sure to pull off the road. The shoulders are wide enough for this. If it rains, as forecast, the sides of the roads could get quite muddy, though. In that case, keep two wheels on the road. Keep in mind that it could be raining in the Bay Area, but not in Hollister, as is often the case. The coming weather systems could make for some really dramatic skies for the photographers. Good luck and see you out there!

      Happy Trails,
      Debi Shearwater
      San Benito Birding

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      High Arctic: Polar Bears, Walrus & Seabirds: 28 Jun - 8 July, 2013 charter with Debi