bird info needed

  • maertzr
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
      Hi
      Can the CALIFORNIA GNATCATHER be found this time of year or is it only
      in breeding season? Where are several good places to find this bird?

      To see the the ISLAND SCRUB-JAY where do you take off from? What are the details on the boat trip? Is there safe parking or motels nearby?

      I would guess my chances of seeing or hearing a BLACK RAIL and LEAST BITTERN this time of year are slim to nil. What are some good areas for these birds in your state?

      Thanks
      Ron Maertz
      Glide, Or
    • Chuck & Lillian
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
        For the Jay, go to this link to Santa Monica Bay Audubon blog:
        http://smbasblog.wordpress.com/l-a-birding/
        Scroll down to 5th item.
        All links to Island Packers boat trips, maps, driving directions from LAX are provided.

        Gnatcatcher is resident but I'll let someone else answer the Gnatcatcher location question.

        yours,
        Chuck Almdale
        North Hills, Ca.

        At 02:31 PM 10/5/2011, maertzr wrote:
        >Hi
        >Can the CALIFORNIA GNATCATHER be found this time of year or is it only
        >in breeding season? Where are several good places to find this bird?
        >To see the the ISLAND SCRUB-JAY where do you take off from? What are the details on the boat trip? Is there safe parking or motels nearby?
        >I would guess my chances of seeing or hearing a BLACK RAIL and LEAST BITTERN this time of year are slim to nil. What are some good areas for these birds in your state?
        >Thanks
        >Ron Maertz
        >Glide, Or
      • Steve Sosensky
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
          Ron,

          The Dana Point Headlands are an easy place to see CA Gnatcatchers. I
          took a client there on Tuesday and saw about 10.

          At 02:31 PM 10/5/2011, maertzr wrote:
          >Hi
          >Can the CALIFORNIA GNATCATHER be found this time of year or is it only
          >in breeding season? Where are several good places to find this bird?

          Good birding,

          Steve Sosensky,
          SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
          Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
          Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
          Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W