Invitation to LA Audubon Society monthly meeting, 10/12/11

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      Hi Birders!

      You are cordially invited to attend Los Angeles Audubon Society's
      monthly meeting, 7:30pm, Wednesday October 12, 2011 in Plummer Park,
      7335 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90046, room 1 in the
      Community Center. Free parking is available in Plummer Park and
      additional parking is available in the Fountain Ave. lot.

      Robb Hamilton: "The Cactus Wren of Southern California"

      Perhaps the most imperiled resident bird on the coastal slope of
      southern California has no legal status in Los Angeles County, but
      growing numbers of biologists and volunteers are joining together to
      study and protect fragile populations of the Cactus Wren anyway! We
      will examine places where these fascinating birds are found around the
      Southland, with an emphasis on Los Angeles County, take inventory of
      the forces that seem to be aligned against the wrens, and finish by
      reviewing conservation strategies that are being devised and
      implemented to give these tenacious birds a fighting chance.

      Robb Hamilton, a biological consultant based in Long Beach, has co-
      authored two books: The Birds of Orange County, California: Status and
      Distribution; and Rare Birds of California. He has surveyed for
      Cactus Wrens, and mapped their cactus scrub habitat, across large
      swaths of their coastal range. He is currently updating the Cactus
      Wren species account for the Birds of North America Online.

      Upcoming talks:

      11/9/11 Steve Shunk: "Burned Forests and Black-backed Woodpeckers in
      the Sierra Nevada"

      12/14/11 Mary & Nick Freeman: "The Northern Saw-whet Owl and The
      Station Fire" - Change of venue for this month only: Debs Park, Los
      Angeles

      Our conservation projects, fieldtrips, and monthly meeting
      presentations will continue, but with sadness we must announce the Los
      Angeles Audubon Society headquarters and bookstore will close its
      doors on November 6, 2011. The City of West Hollywood has plans to
      demolish the building where the chapter's office and bookstore is
      housed to expand the garden park with subterranean parking, but other
      general meetings - including January - will continue at the Plummer
      Park Community Center. We are still in search of an office to continue
      running the chapter's business. I hope to see you this night!

      Mary Freeman

      Glendale, CA

      Los Angeles Audubon Society Program Chair and Fieldtrip Leader

      http://losangelesaudubon.org/