MONTEREY SEABIRD PELAGICS in OCTOBER

  • teasterla
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2011
      Seabirders,

      MONTEREY SEABIRDS has several pelagic trips in October. This is one of my favorite times to be out on the ocean because it is great for seeing a variety of sea-birds, as well as we have a good chance to see unusual passerines. October is one of the best times for opportunities to see Streaked Shearwater (October has multiple sightings of this species), as well as Great shearwater, Wedge-tailed Shearwater and Great-winged Petrel. For example, a Streaked Shearwater was just reported by reliable observers just off the Marin/Sonoma County waters only a couple days ago. This may be a "good sign" as Marin is not too far as the shearwater flys.

      Also, this is one of the best times of the year to be looking through Storm Petrel flocks (by now there numbers are increasing). These trips in October are some of the last opportunities to take a trip out – before the seabird season starts to slow down more, and the seas start to get more unstable.
      So come on out with a friendly crew and have fun while we look for unusual seabirds, whales and other pelagic life. October is a great month to find just about anything!

      Monterey Seabirds will be running all day pelagic trips coming up in October on Sundays the 9th and 29th, as well as Saturday October 15
      Cost for these trips is $120 and there are spaces available on each trip in October.

      You can reserve a spot online at http://www.montereyseabirds.com or over the phone by calling 831- 375-4658.

      Todd Easterla ……AKA "Tubenose Todd" …smelling our way to the good stuff in OCTOBER!