Pelagic sightings (Streaked Shearwater, etc.) on behalf of Jay Withgott

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2011
      The following is from Jay Withgott (Oregon) who is not on this list
      serve - it should be of interest to CA seabirders.

      Hello Cal Birders --

      A group of 11 birders from 3 states has just completed a pelagic birding
      trip on the cruiseship Golden Princess, from Vancouver to Los Angeles,
      25-28 Sept. The following three highlights occurred on 27 September in
      California waters:

      * STREAKED SHEARWATER: 1 bird seen at close range by 4 of our group
      about 45 miles west of Pt. Reyes at 38 02 27 N, 123 46 32 W. This would
      put the bird either in Sonoma Co. or Marin Co. waters (I'm currently
      still traveling and unable to make exact measurements to determine
      county placement.)

      * RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD: 1 adult seen by all 10 of our group present at
      the time at a moderate-to-far distance for nearly 2 minutes in steady
      flight. This bird was about 48 miles west of the Monterey Peninsula, at
      36 34 30 N, 122 49 25 W, which would put it either in Monterey Co. or
      Santa Cruz Co. waters (as with the shearwater, very near the county line
      as determined by closest point of land). Photos of the Tropicbird were
      taken by Owen Schmidt and may be viewed at:
      http://web.me.com/olschmidt/AVES/Tropicbird.html

      * COOK'S PETREL: 1 bird seen at a great distance but exhibiting
      distinctive field marks and behavior, about 50 miles west of the
      Monterey Co. coastline between Carmel and Pt. Sur, in Monterey Co.
      waters, at 36 25 24 N, 122 43 34 W.

      Also seeming unusual to us were 3 White-faced Ibis flying over the ocean
      a good 20 miles out from the Palos Verdes peninsula, L.A. Co., on 28
      Sept.

      These sightings capped a trip in which the ship plowed through
      gale-force winds and 16-foot seas off WA and OR, in which we largely
      lost a morning in CA to fog, and in which the afternoon in CA saw
      numbers of seabirds that were markedly lower than previous cruiseship
      pelagic trips we have done at this time of year in these waters.

      Anyone interested in our entire list may contact me
      (withgott@...), and I will send it along in several days upon my
      return home.

      Observers on the ship were: Jeff Gilligan, Tim Janzen, Rachel Janzen,
      Gerard Lillie, Judy Meredith, Owen Schmidt, Jay Withgott, and Sheran
      Wright, all of Oregon; Catherine Waters and Robert Waters of California;
      and Ron Martin of North Dakota.

      Jay Withgott
      Portland, OR
      withgott@...