Owling Orange County

  • Dan Lockshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2011
      Hi All,

      This last week we led a short three hour owling trip out of Optics4Birding
      for some of the local Orange County owls. The first three species - Barn,
      Great Horned and Western Screech-Owls - are typical although we had
      exceptionally good close-up views of all three them. The last species
      requested was Northern Saw-whet Owl. This is not typical to find at this
      time of year. Although it is a resident owl here, it is very difficult to
      locate one at this time of year because they are non-vocal outside of
      breeding season. Finding a Northern Saw-whet Owl here in mid-September was
      an absolute delight. I have posted photos and a short write-up of our outing
      on the Optics4Birding blog (http://www.optics4birding.com/blog/). Northern
      Saw-whet is a really cute owl and we were fortunate to have gotten great
      views and photos of it at this time of year.

      Good Birding,

      Dan Lockshaw

      Optics4Birding

      Irvine, California