Bell's Vireo, SCZ

  • Frances Oliver
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2011
      Posting this for Leslie Tucci, please forward to MBB. (Frances)
      Today at about 10:45am I had a singing BELL'S VIREO at Natural Bridges. I first
      heard it sing several times west of me (within the forested area) while I was
      walking south on a dirt trail that began at Delaware Ave. I followed the
      direction of the song though it stopped after a few minutes, and ended up near
      the green pond by the boardwalk. While looking around for it I heard it from the
      blackberries. The bird popped up and I got a look at a drab Bell's Vireo --
      grayish above, whitish below, long tail, weak eye line etc. I did not see it
      after that, but I heard it sing once more probably 45 minutes after the initial
      singing as I was heading towards the visitor center.

      On the beach I saw a single PECTORAL SANDPIPER flyover, after I heard it
      calling.

      Good Birding!
      Leslie Tucci
      Humboldt County