Great-winged Petrel, Again!

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2011
      Hello, Birders,

      Continuing our "great" streak of seabirds, a GREAT-WINGED PETREL was spotted zipping by the boat on today's Shearwater Journeys' Half Moon Bay trip by ace seabirder, Phil Hansbro of Australia. Few on board saw the petrel, and it was not photographed. The Great-winged Petrel was about 7 miles off the coast, in San Mateo County. Tristan McKee, long time San Mateo County birder and Shearwater leader, saw the petrel, as did a couple of lucky folks on board. We were not able to chum it in with oil, or find it again. Other highlights included MARBLED MURRELETS, TUFTED PUFFINS, all three species of jaegers and SOUTH POLAR SKUAS. All birds on today's trip were in SAN MATEO COUNTY.

      The complete species list can be found at:

      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/09/great-winged-petrel-again-trip-report.html

      We have trips departing from Half Moon Bay tomorrow, September 18 and September 19th. If you are willing to take a chance, there is a possibility that you might get on board, if someone does not show up. (That has been happening every day). We meet at 7 am sharp at the following location:

      http://huckfinnsportfishing.com/directions.html

      Allow 10 minutes to park and walk to the boat dock. Dress warmly, bring lunch. The boat fee is $175 + $10 fuel surcharge. Cash, only at the dock.

      Spaces are available on our October 2, 10 and 15 Half Moon Bay departures. Spaces are also available on all of our Monterey Bay Birding Festival trips: September 22, 23, 24, 25, 26! It has been a grrrreat fall season so far. Jump on board!

      Pterodromas forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      AKA Annie Auklet

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      High Arctic: Polar Bears, Walrus & Seabirds: 28 Jun - 8 July, 2013 charter with Debi