RE: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover

  • Todd Easterla
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2011
      Hi All,

      NO Doubt about the Common Ringed Plover at the city of Davis Wetlands!

      First I have to apologize for this late post but I just got home fifteen
      minutes ago as some of my birding friends and I had a celebratory dinner
      (Thanks Mathew M.). The cell phone coverage is horrible out there so that is
      one of the reasons that I could not call the NOR CAL-RBA until later
      tonight. I thought others would have posted it earlier in the day but no one
      did.

      We were able to hear the bird around 9:30 AM clearly give its POOOH-EEE type
      call and I heard it intermittently throughout the day. My self and others
      were able to get some descent photos of the inner toes lack of webbing and
      very limited on the outer web, and we were able to compare this field mark
      with several nearby Semipalmated Plovers more noticeable toe webbing.

      The bird is very striking as it is an alternate plumaged male and very easy
      to pick out due to its obvious white (Nike Swoosh) above the eye that flared
      out nicely, the very wide breast band, dark face and loral line to the gape
      of the lower mandible. The bill was longer and somewhat thinner based than
      the Semipalmated's, with good looks. The bill and legs are very orange in
      appearance compared to all the male Semipalmated Plovers present today. The
      bird is noticelably bigger than any of the Semipalmated Plovers and slightly
      longer looking posteriorly. The white forhead wrapped around almost to the
      eye. The eye ring was blackish most of the time unlike the Semipalmated's
      more yellowy/orange color.

      The wetalnds open at 7AM and close promptly at 1PM. Please follow all of the
      directions and check in at the kiosk first.

      Thanks and GOOD LUCK!

      Todd Easterla

      From: "jfholmes@... <mailto:jfholmes%40ucdavis.edu> "
      <jfholmes@... <mailto:jfholmes%40ucdavis.edu> >
      Date: Sat, Aug 20, 2011 1:39 pm
      Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover
      To: <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS%40yahoogroups.com> >

    • tertial
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2011
        is still being seen and is very cooperative this morning. The bird is silent, but many photos taken. Lack of webbing between toes was clearly seen.

        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA