Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover

  • jfholmes@ucdavis.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20 5:59 PM
      I have gotten a couple of emails about the identification of this bird since it is far from straightforward.

      From what I saw in the field it looks consistent with Ringed Plover. I have seen plenty.

      It is an alternate plumage bird, perhaps male(?) . The dark breast band is very broad and this combined with a slightly lighter brown back color made it surprisingly easy to pick out from the Semi Plovers.

      In addition, the white supercillium was long and extended quite far. The dark lores extended to/below the gape. The orbital ring was dark. My only concern was that I could not discern differences in bill size between it and the Semi Plovers. I never heard it call but people did and said it was consistent with Ringed.

      I believe people have photos showing these characteristics and the feet/ lack of webbing.

      I think it is very likely California's first Ringed Plover. Once people get good studies of the photos on computer screens we should know for sure.

      Hope this helps those trying to decide to chase on Sunday.

      Jim Holmes

      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20 10:19 PM
        Hi All,

        NO Doubt about the Common Ringed Plover at the city of Davis Wetlands!

        First I have to apologize for this late post but I just got home fifteen
        minutes ago as some of my birding friends and I had a celebratory dinner
        (Thanks Mathew M.). The cell phone coverage is horrible out there so that is
        one of the reasons that I could not call the NOR CAL-RBA until later
        tonight. I thought others would have posted it earlier in the day but no one
        did.

        We were able to hear the bird around 9:30 AM clearly give its POOOH-EEE type
        call and I heard it intermittently throughout the day. My self and others
        were able to get some descent photos of the inner toes lack of webbing and
        very limited on the outer web, and we were able to compare this field mark
        with several nearby Semipalmated Plovers more noticeable toe webbing.

        The bird is very striking as it is an alternate plumaged male and very easy
        to pick out due to its obvious white (Nike Swoosh) above the eye that flared
        out nicely, the very wide breast band, dark face and loral line to the gape
        of the lower mandible. The bill was longer and somewhat thinner based than
        the Semipalmated's, with good looks. The bill and legs are very orange in
        appearance compared to all the male Semipalmated Plovers present today. The
        bird is noticelably bigger than any of the Semipalmated Plovers and slightly
        longer looking posteriorly. The white forhead wrapped around almost to the
        eye. The eye ring was blackish most of the time unlike the Semipalmated's
        more yellowy/orange color.

        The wetalnds open at 7AM and close promptly at 1PM. Please follow all of the
        directions and check in at the kiosk first.

        Thanks and GOOD LUCK!

        Todd Easterla

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21 11:06 AM
          is still being seen and is very cooperative this morning. The bird is silent, but many photos taken. Lack of webbing between toes was clearly seen.

          Steve Hampton
          Davis, CA