Trip Report: Aug 17, 2011 Bodega Bay

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2011
      Hello, Birders,

      The trip report for Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip from Bodega Bay, 30 miles offshore to Bodega Canyon and Cordell Bank, and the 1000 fathom line, can be found at:

      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/08/trip-report-august-17-2011-bodega.html

      It was a solid day at sea, with some great views of many seabirds, dolphins and whales. The entire area is surrounded with very cold sea surface temperatures from 50 to 53 F.

      Our next four trips depart from Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg, where the situation is quite different. Today, the fishermen in that area caught 50 albacore only 16 miles offshore. There is a "hard" four degree edge to the sea surface temps. This bodes very well indeed for finding Hawaiian Petrels. Fort Bragg has more records of Hawaiian Petrels than anywhere on the west coast, with as many at three individuals observed in one day, and on another occasion, one petrel was followed for a record 17 minutes on our trips! For the latest update on reservations, please see the same blog post, above.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      High Arctic: Polar Bears, Walrus & Seabirds: 28 Jun - 8 July, 2013 charter with Debi