Lassen Co Falcated Duck and more

  • David E. Quady
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2002
      Calbirders:

      Sorry for the belated report, but . . .

      The Falcated Duck was present in the same pond at Honey Lake SWA all day
      (from 6:30 am until after dark) on Tuesday, April 2. I looked for it
      briefly Wednesday morning, but did not see it then.

      The Harris's Sparrow was present along Mapes Road, in the vicinity of
      the first house south of Fish & Game Road, on Tuesday and Wednesday
      April 2-3. It was with a flock of at least 15 White-crowned Sparrows
      and was extremely skittish, much more so than the White-crowns. What
      worked for me was plunking myself down to watch some spilled seed that
      the birds visited, albeit extremely hesitantly and intermittently. It
      took 45 minutes for the Harris's to appear.

      Several times over the two days I cruised along Mapes Road north of Fish
      & Game to look for the reported Northern Shrike, without success. I did
      see at least three Loggerhead Shrikes in the Honey Lake Valley, however.

      Dave Quady
      Berkeley, California
      davequady@...