Common Murres Hatch on CA Channel Islands

  • Bernardo Alps
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2011
      Hi all.

      Here is a link to a USGS release announcing that Common Murre chicks hatched on the on Prince Island off San Miguel Island for the first time since 1912, http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2875.

      Anyone who spent time on the water noticed that over the past ten years or so, we have been seeing more and more common murres in the Santa Barbara Channel. Before that we could go years without seeing one and initially we would see them only in the winter months but recently we have been seeing them year round.

      Last year I saw a couple of dependent chicks attended by fathers on whale watching trips trips aboard the Condor Express in late July/early August. I thought that that indicated local breeding since at this stage the birds cannot fly. I was told that the birds I saw must have ridden the California Current from one of the known nesting locations. The closest was at Hurricane Point just south of Carmel and the largest on the Farallon Islands. This discovery makes me think that a few pairs must have nested here undetected last year.

      Take care,

      Bernardo

      Bernardo Alps
      San Pedro,CA