Photos of birds carrying insects

  • Jim Royer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2011
      I saw the following on the Arizona/New Mexico Bird Listserv and am passing
      the request on to California birders:

      Birders:
      I am posting a request to help Dr.Doug Tallamy (see:
      http://www.plantanative.com/douglas-tallamy-bio.html) , of the
      University of Delaware, find good photos of birds carrying insects for a
      study
      he is doing in hopes of measuring the impact of invasive plants on insect
      prey
      available to birds.

      Here is what Dr.Tallamy is looking for in his own words:

      "I need all the "birds with insects" photos I can get. I am starting a study
      see just how specialized some species of birds are in their diet. The
      ultimate
      goal is to see how plant invasions change the availability of insects for
      birds
      and then to measure whether birds can adjust to those changes or whether
      they
      simply leave those areas. This is all hampered by having very poor data on
      exactly what birds are eating. "insects" isn't good enough. I need to know
      what
      species of insects. There are so many existing photos out there that are
      good
      enough to ID the insect in the beak that I thought I would start a data base
      from citizen scientists. There could be regional specialization so I think I
      will seek photos from all over the country. I won't use any pics other than
      ID the insect. I would like to have the date the photo was taken, whether
      the
      bird was migrating or not (best guess), the location of the shot (nearest
      post
      office is usually good enough), and the photographer and the email address
      (if
      he or she feels like sharing that). All participants will be given credit
      when
      I publish the results. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated."

      If you can help Dr.Tallamy, please send your photos to: *dtallamy AT
      udel.edu* <dtallamy%20AT%20udel.edu>