Trip Report: August 5, 2011

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2011
      Hello, Birders,

      Shearwater Journeys' first pelagic trip of the fall season yesterday, departing from Monterey was filled with non-stop seabirds from beginning to end. Highlights included a "dark morph" PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER, close up views of many seabirds, including a tail-less FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL in Santa Cruz County, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, 5 SURFBIRDS on the Coast Guard Breakwater, as well as many other seabirds. Humpback Whales were scattered throughout the day, but the surprise was an adult KILLER WHALE that put on quite a show. A single BLUE WHALE was nearby.

      To read the entire trip report along with images by Abe Borker and species list, please see:
      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/08/trip-report-august-5-2011-monterey-bay.html

      To read about and see stunning images by Tom Johnson of the dark morph Pink-footed Shearwater, please see:
      http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2011/08/pink-footed-shearwater-puffinus.html

      Our next trip departing from Monterey is August 12th. Please contact me by email for a reservation.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      South Georgia: Oct 18 - Nov 4; Antarctica, South Georgia & Falkland Islands: Nov 4 - 22, 2010